In September, Google shook up the search marketing industry with news of a substantial update to their algorithm infrastructure, known as Hummingbird. As one of the largest changes to the algorithm since 2010, Hummingbird is projected to affect 90% of all searches. In response to this massive change, our team of SEO experts recently published an in-depth POV on Hummingbird with details on how this change will affect the search landscape.
While the exact mechanics behind the new algorithm remain shrouded in mystery, Hummingbird appears to use semantic and conversational cues to accurately interpret search queries. This represents a foundational shift away from a primarily keyword based matching system to a more intelligent, context-driven system.
The uber-detailed POV provides keen insight into the new search landscape and covers the following points:
- A brief history of Google algorithm updates preceding Hummingbird
- The basic nature of Hummingbird, including comparisons to previous algorithm updates
- The immediate and future impact of the Hummingbird update
- An in-depth explanation of Hummingbird’s foundation in semantic search and conversational search
- Actionable steps for marketers
Ready to start reading? Download your free copy of the POV here.
- Gearing up for the New Year: The Search Agency’s Search Marketing Predictions for 2014 - December 20, 2013
- The Search Agency’s Favorite Holiday Traditions - December 19, 2013
- The Search Agency’s Best & Worst Holiday Gifts - December 13, 2013
- Sluggish Black Friday Sales Give Way to New Shopping Trend: Cyber Week - December 6, 2013
- Grant’s Rants: Hey Matt, Be Careful What You Ask For… - November 25, 2013
- SEO for the Birds: The Search Agency’s POV on Google’s Hummingbird Update - November 19, 2013
- Inside the Search Studio with Elaine Lawson - November 12, 2013
- Inside the Search Studio with Jeb Griffin - November 6, 2013
- Grant’s Rants: Old School SEO Questions, Halloween costumes and a dancing SEO - October 31, 2013
- Google Updates Ad Ranking System - October 23, 2013