We recently published our Q3 2013 State of Paid Search Report, detailing the latest results in paid search marketing. The comprehensive report highlights trends across search engines, devices and eight industries, including: Business to Business, Consumer Services, Financial Services, Real Estate and Construction, Healthcare, Retail/eCommerce, and Travel and Leisure. Our sample included advertisers who had fifteen consecutive months of data with The Search Agency and an established and stable business model from Q3 2012 to Q3 2013.
The trends in Q3 demonstrate the growing importance of mobile devices in paid search, a shift driven both by consumers migrating to mobile devices and by Google advertisers transitioning to enhanced campaigns, which rolled out at the beginning of the quarter. Our data demonstrates that one third of paid clicks on Google now come from smartphones and tablets, confirming the rising importance of mobile over the last few quarters.
More broadly, the quarter showed advertisers’ continued confidence in paid search advertising, with strong growth in impressions, clicks and spend across Bing (representing the Yahoo!-Bing network) and Google. According to our analysis, paid search spend increased 23% YoY, while CPCs increased across both the Yahoo-Bing network and Google. Specifically, CPCs increased 19.6% on Bing and 3.5% on Google in Q3 2013 compared to Q3 2012.
Bing experienced CPC growth across all devices, with the most dramatic growth occurring on smartphones, which increased 25.2% YoY. Google saw more modest CPC growth YoY, with the largest growth occurring on tablets at 14.2%.
For a more detailed look into the current state of paid search advertising, get your free copy of our comprehensive report.
- Gearing up for the New Year: The Search Agency’s Search Marketing Predictions for 2014 - December 20, 2013
- The Search Agency’s Favorite Holiday Traditions - December 19, 2013
- The Search Agency’s Best & Worst Holiday Gifts - December 13, 2013
- Sluggish Black Friday Sales Give Way to New Shopping Trend: Cyber Week - December 6, 2013
- Grant’s Rants: Hey Matt, Be Careful What You Ask For… - November 25, 2013
- SEO for the Birds: The Search Agency’s POV on Google’s Hummingbird Update - November 19, 2013
- Inside the Search Studio with Elaine Lawson - November 12, 2013
- Inside the Search Studio with Jeb Griffin - November 6, 2013
- Grant’s Rants: Old School SEO Questions, Halloween costumes and a dancing SEO - October 31, 2013
- Google Updates Ad Ranking System - October 23, 2013
Tags | advertising, B2B, Bing, clicks, construction, consumer services, CPC, CTR, Earnings, finance, Google, healthcare, impressions, Marketing, Report, retail, search, State of Paid Search, Tech, Travel