The Search Agency is attending the DMA this week in Chicago! Keith Wilson, VP of Agency Products, is there to discuss the five important trends that marketers need to know when planning their 2014 campaigns. Here are the main points:
1. Consumers now spend more time interacting with online retailers on smartphones and tablets than they do on desktops and laptops.
- 55% of all time spent with online retail in June 2013 occurred on a mobile device while 45% of all time spent occurred on desktops and laptops. Specifically, smartphones accounted for 44% of retail Internet minutes while tablets accounted for 11%. Source: Internet Retailer, October 2013 
2. Real-time bidding on display media continues to increase year-over-year.
- RTB has grown because more advertisers have become familiar with the complex automated buying ecosystem and are now seeking to reach audiences through a more targeted, cost-effective process. Source: eMarketer, August 2013 
3. Effective content marketing increases adoption.
- According to an April 2013 survey of US marketing and advertising executives from international newspaper website MailOnline, 70% of brands and 77% of agencies used content marketing for advertising purposes during the previous year.
- Nearly 7 in 10 respondents distributed their content in digital media other than email or the brand’s own website, while 67% purchased advertising space for their content. Two-thirds of those polled also said they partnered with content providers to create branded content, a trend that has potential for growth as the traditional role of editorial continues to erode and native advertising gets more attention. Source: eMarketer, May 2013 
4. Consumer-centricity drives optimization opportunities.
- Executives primarily see Big Data as a way to improve the customer experience, followed by a way to achieve process efficiency.
- Putting Big Data to work was the biggest challenge posed by the information onslaught. Source: eMarketer, October 2013. 
5. The idea of TV as the “first screen” is dead.
- Multiple surveys analyzed by eMarketer found that a majority of social media users, tablet owners, and smartphone users have used social networks while watching television.
- Many consumers use social media to talk about the content they were viewing on television. Source: eMarketer, October 2013 .
The digital marketing environment is evolving in interesting ways, and staying up to date on the latest trends is the best way to ensure that your upcoming marketing campaigns are successful.