As consumers become increasingly mobile, Responsive Web Design (RWD) has become an important aspect to consider when developing websites and optimizing user experience. As a result, it has become increasingly important for webmasters and marketing professionals to understand the components of RWD that can positively affect SEO.
Earlier this year we published a technical white paper outlining the SEO benefits of RWD. Since then we have updated the white paper to reflect recent updates and common issues that SEO practitioners and architects have encountered.
Specifically, the new paper addresses these points:
- Targeting and Performance of Paid Ads: One of the most important components for advertisers’ who use RWD is the way that paid ads are served. In order for ads to be effective and relevant, they must be compatible with the users viewing devices. While this has proved challenging for some advertisers, there are bid management software options that serve ads with responsive qualities.
- Content Compatibility: Another important element of RWD is the use of content that is compatible and appropriate across devices. Advertisers should avoid using media that is only compatible with desktops, such as Flash objects, which cannot be rendered on mobile devices. The same is true for avoiding mobile-optimized navigation for desktop sites.
- Elimination of Unnecessary Elements: Responsive Design and Server Side (RESS) relies on user agent checking to identify the user’s device and serves only the necessary, optimized components to render the page. This contrasts the standard RWD, which includes all various components within a page and uses media queries to display or hide certain components.
For more information about RWD and recent updates, download the full white paper.
- Troubleshooting in Google Webmaster Tools - August 7, 2014
- Optimization Strategies for the Mobile Web - February 3, 2014
- How to Use jQuery without Compromising SEO Performance - December 10, 2013
- Sneak Peek: Driving SEO Performance with CSS - December 3, 2013
- How to Make Responsive Web Design Faster - October 15, 2013
- Three Great SEO Strategies from Distilled’s SearchLove - September 13, 2013
- Using Responsive Web Design for Better SEO - August 12, 2013
- The Truth About Responsive Web Design: It’s Important - April 2, 2013
- A Lesson on Google’s Webspam Guidelines - March 12, 2013
- Is Google Becoming More Transparent? Understanding Google Search Quality Rating Guidelines - March 11, 2013