We recently published our State of Paid Search report for Q1 2013—a 50 page report with over 80 graphs detailing the current state of paid search advertising. Our comprehensive report summarizes paid search marketing trends across search engines, devices, and six industries including: Business to Business, Consumer Services, Media and Entertainment, Real Estate and Construction, Retail and eCommerce, and Travel and Leisure. Our sample included advertisers who had fifteen consecutive months of data with The Search Agency and an established and stable business model from Q1 2012 to Q1 2013.
Overall, we found that paid search advertising is continuing to experience healthy growth—overall impressions increased 4%, click-through rate increased 15%, and clicks increased 11.7%. These positive KPIs are coupled with an 8.8% increase in CPC and a 21.6% increase in spend, YoY.
Across search engines, Bing saw growth in its share of total impressions and clicks from smartphones and tablet devices, although their performance is still much lower than Google’s. Google continues to see a much higher portion of its clicks and impressions coming from smartphones and tablets, as both search engines have seen steady growth from tablet and smartphone devices over the last five quarters.
Across devices, our analysis demonstrates that overall click growth is being driven by smartphones and tablets. For the past five quarters, smartphones and tablets have not only seen a steady increase in clicks, but also in impressions and spend share. Now, tablets and smartphones make up 24.7% of total click traffic, 20.1% of spend, and 21.6% of impressions. And as we predicted in our last quarterly report, smartphone clicks and impressions increased dramatically. Smartphone impressions increased 96% YoY, and clicks increased 86%, while desktop clicks and impressions declined 14% during the same period.
For more ultra-geeky data and analysis about paid search advertising, check out our complete report ! (P.S. you can also access the graphs that highlight the most significant trends from the report on SlideShare)
- Gearing up for the New Year: The Search Agency’s Search Marketing Predictions for 2014  - December 20, 2013
- The Search Agency’s Favorite Holiday Traditions  - December 19, 2013
- The Search Agency’s Best & Worst Holiday Gifts  - December 13, 2013
- Sluggish Black Friday Sales Give Way to New Shopping Trend: Cyber Week  - December 6, 2013
- Grant’s Rants: Hey Matt, Be Careful What You Ask For…  - November 25, 2013
- SEO for the Birds: The Search Agency’s POV on Google’s Hummingbird Update  - November 19, 2013
- Inside the Search Studio with Elaine Lawson  - November 12, 2013
- Inside the Search Studio with Jeb Griffin  - November 6, 2013
- Grant’s Rants: Old School SEO Questions, Halloween costumes and a dancing SEO  - October 31, 2013
- Google Updates Ad Ranking System  - October 23, 2013