After a lot of Enhanced Campaigns fuss circulating throughout the online marketing industry, it seems that Google might be giving advertisers a (small) break. At least for now.
Google recently announced that ad-group-level mobile bid adjustments will be available for Enhanced Campaigns starting in mid-May, giving advertisers more control and precision over their AdWords campaigns. However, Google’s original Enhanced Campaigns announcement (February 2013) did not allow advertisers this degree of control over their campaigns—instead, advertisers were forced to compile their campaigns into one account that would reach users across all devices. It seems that the search giant may have started listening to advertiser complaints asking for more control over mobile campaigns. In their recent announcement, Google stated the change will “be useful if you’ve been operating large scale campaigns and found that your optimal bids for some keywords would require significantly different mobile bid adjustments within an enhanced campaign.” Their announcement also announced that the automatic migration date to Enhanced Campaigns has been pushed back to July 22.
Senior Manager of SEM, Matt Grebow says: “Underpinning the shift to Enhanced Campaigns is Google’s rationale that there must be a simpler way to segment ads by device and other behavioral dimensions. However, limiting bid adjustments to the campaign level would have forced many advertisers to segregate important keywords, which could have bloated search accounts and added and made managing budgets more complex. In effect, just the opposite of Google’s stated goal. And although many advertisers would probably love to continue setting device bids, by keyword, allowing ad-group adjustments is a welcome compromise.”
- Gearing up for the New Year: The Search Agency’s Search Marketing Predictions for 2014 - December 20, 2013
- The Search Agency’s Favorite Holiday Traditions - December 19, 2013
- The Search Agency’s Best & Worst Holiday Gifts - December 13, 2013
- Sluggish Black Friday Sales Give Way to New Shopping Trend: Cyber Week - December 6, 2013
- Grant’s Rants: Hey Matt, Be Careful What You Ask For… - November 25, 2013
- SEO for the Birds: The Search Agency’s POV on Google’s Hummingbird Update - November 19, 2013
- Inside the Search Studio with Elaine Lawson - November 12, 2013
- Inside the Search Studio with Jeb Griffin - November 6, 2013
- Grant’s Rants: Old School SEO Questions, Halloween costumes and a dancing SEO - October 31, 2013
- Google Updates Ad Ranking System - October 23, 2013