I’ve been around search for a while.
In fact, I surprised a few folks today when I recalled my first entrepreneurial foray into search with “VideoMetro”, a video community (pre YouTube) that some mates and I created for iMovie users to share their masterpieces – 1MB at a time. That was back in ’96, and I’ve been passionate about search & online ever since.
So what’s happened since then? Google was created and has grown into a dominant “intent interpretation engine”, Microsoft & Yahoo are joined at the hip, and former industry leaders like Excite, Lycos & Alta Vista… Alta Vista who?
So while a lot has changed some things have remained the same, namely change itself.
Nowhere is this more evident than with Google search results page layouts.
What started as “stark” is morphing into something more complex at each new iteration of their search results pages (SERP).
I’m not certain if this is a manifestation of Google A.D.D., or if there’s some master plan Google designers and engineers are working towards, but I do know that more often than not search result page layout updates threaten the very simplicity that Google was built upon.
Just this week Google added in brand sitelinks, an ugly and less-than-optimal implementation of an average idea. I mean I *get* it, but aren’t there much better opportunities to improve the SERP than this??
For me? Better snippets and more obvious filtering options.
What do *YOU* think could be the biggest improvement Google could make to their SERP?
(Google… You listening?)
Connect with Grant on Google+ Grant Simmons+
- Ghost Blogging is Dead. Long Live SEO! - April 1, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: Go Back to the Basics - March 6, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: The Value of a WhatsApp User - February 24, 2014
- All You Need is Links: Valentine’s Day Edition - February 14, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: “SEO Content” is Just “Great Content” - February 11, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: Who Said SEO Is Easy? - February 4, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: Just Say No to Image Bait - January 23, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: You’re Shooting Too High – And Other Metric Mysteries - January 10, 2014
- Inside the Search Studio with Laurie Sullivan - January 8, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: 2014 Is NOT the Year of Social, Mobile, or Native Ads - January 3, 2014