Search marketers are under increasing pressure to deliver better results at lower costs. But the field of search marketing is relatively immature, and much of the research and emerging standards that gets published comes with minimal oversight and critical review. Search marketing specialists must find new ways to efficiently process this dynamic and ever-increasing set of best practices, and efficiently apply them in order to improve the outcomes of their campaigns.
Evidence-based search marketing  (EBSM) is a new approach to campaign management in which search marketing specialists are empowered with actionable evidence, relevant data, and decision-support technology to improve results and efficiency. Based on the principles of evidence-based medicine, EBSM offers search marketers a rigorous process to conduct original research, objectively review secondary research and industry developments, maintain a library of evidence-based best practices and apply them to their daily campaigns. 
As an industry, we have a great opportunity to adopt a more systematic (evidence-based) approach to quality improvement and expand our commitment to ongoing primary research and publication. With the success many hospitals and clinics have had in using evidence-based medicine to improve the quality of patient care, a new paradigm based on integrating individual specialist expertise with the best available external evidence from systematic research holds great potential to improve the quality and efficiency of search marketing.
Download the complete white paper on evidence-based search marketing  and let us know what you see as the potential for this new paradigm.
- Tablet CPCs on Par with Desktop after Enhanced Campaigns  - September 3, 2013
- Social Media and Soccer: My Interview with LA Galaxy’s Lisa Bregman  - July 11, 2013
- Stop Calling Tablets Mobile Devices  - May 28, 2013
- Search Marketing for Subscription Businesses  - May 15, 2013
- Ben Edelman on Disclosure Labels in Paid Search  - April 14, 2011
- AdWords Update: Optimize for Conversions  - February 25, 2011
- New White Paper: Evidence-Based Search Marketing  - January 31, 2011
- How Search Marketing is Like Medicine  - January 5, 2011
- Click-Through Rate Jumps 11.4% After Google Changes “Sponsored Links” to “Ads”  - November 15, 2010
- Google Changes “Sponsored Links” to “Ads” – Watch your Click-Through Rates  - November 11, 2010