Google’s Android proving extremely profitable
At the Techonomy conference this week, Google’s CEO Eric Schmidt revealed that their Android smartphone has not only acquired a strong standing in the smartphone market, but as also proved to be a financial success. According to Schmidt, “Trust me that revenue is large enough to pay for all of the Android activities and a whole bunch more.”
Google Changes Their Search Policy in Europe
Google announced on Wednesday that will amend its search policy in Europe to allow marketers to bid on trademarked terms. The changes stem from a decision ruled by the European Court of Justice in the spring, regarding a law suit between LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton and Google, which stated that Google had to abide by trademark laws and allow advertisers to purchase keywords related to third-party trademark terms.
Google Wave to be Shut Down
Google announced this week that it will be shutting down their Google Wave service. The service was launched in May 2009, but has struggled to develop a user following. Urs Holzle, Google’s senior vice president of operations, explained that, “Wave has not seen the user adoption we would have liked. So we don’t plan to continue developing Wave as a standalone product, but we will maintain the site at least through the end of the year and extend the technology for use in other Google projects.”
Facebook’s Shopping Spree
Caroline McCarthy reports on the details behind a set of eighteen patented technologies Facebook acquired when they purchased Friendstr last year.
Microsoft vs. Salesforce.com Conflict Forewarns of Future Cloud Battles
Check out Nicholas Kolakowski’s article on eWeek.com that discusses the recent dispute between Microsoft and Salesforce.com regarding patent-infringement and argues that, although the two have decided to settle their disagreement outside of court, the case forewarns of future Cloud conflicts.
Google and Bing’s Search Arms Race
In an article in the NYTimes this week, Claire Cain Miller and Ashlee Vance take a closer look into the developing arms race between Google and Bing to produce the newest and most innovative search features.
- The Week We Searched For- May 11, 2012 - May 11, 2012
- Interview with Cassandra Caswell-Stirling - May 10, 2012
- The Week We Searched For- April 30-May 2, 2012 - May 4, 2012
- eRetailers Winning Customers at the Zero Moment of Truth - May 3, 2012
- The Week We Searched For- April 20, 2012 - April 20, 2012
- The Week We Searched For- April 13, 2012 - April 13, 2012
- The Week We Searched For- April 6, 2012 - April 6, 2012
- An Interview with Erik Freeman - April 5, 2012
- The Week We Searched For- April 2, 2012 - April 2, 2012
- The Week We Searched For- March 23, 2012 - March 23, 2012