Most online marketers consider landing page optimization to be an exercise only for paid media. Thanks to some new features in Google Analytics, there is a great way to measure the effectiveness of SEO landing pages all the way down to specific keywords and associated metrics.
This data can give you powerful insight into how SEO landing page recipes should be adjusted in order to better serve certain keywords sending you free organic traffic. Here is how you can find this valuable data:
Step 1: Find high traffic SEO landing pages with bad bounce rates
- Within Google Analytics, navigate to the Top Landing Pages Report (Content > Top Landing Pages)
- Change your advanced segment to Non-paid search traffic
- Look for a page you want to test with high bounce rates
Step 2: Copy the URI of the page you would like to analyze
- In this example, I chose /search-marketing-glossary/return-on-advertising-spend-roas.html because it is getting a lot of traffic but 90% of users are bouncing from the page.
Step 3: Go to the Keyword Report (Traffic Sources > Keywords)
Step 4: Add the “Landing Page” secondary dimension to the report
Step 5: Add an Advanced Filter to the Report
- Dimension: Landing Page
- Containing: (the URI you copied) for this example it is /search-marketing-glossary/return-on-advertising-spend-roas.html
Step 6: Analyze this report data and look at your KPI’s.
Many marketers are intrigued to see their conversion rate per keyword based on the SEO landing page. Any goal you have set up can also be analyzed at the keyword and landing page level. Look for valuable keywords where performance is suffering and consider adjusting the page or creating a new page to perform better on those keywords.