How do you compete with Google, without being Google?
You become more like Yahoo!
Today, Microsoft announced the addition of a very un-search-engine-like entertainment portal at http://www.bing.com/entertainment.
Rather than traditional Google simplicity, Bing’s entertainment page is much more reminiscent of the Yahoo! entertainment portal and is probably a good harbinger of what Microsoft is planning to launch to compete against Google’s market domination.
However, is this really what people want?
Bing said 76% of users polled “want one online destination for entertainment options to eliminate clutter,” and I concur. I’m just not certain that under the Bing brand is the best place for it to appear.
Microsoft appears to have a little schizophrenia about their offerings too.
Within the Bing Entertainment interface (and as the roll-in to the first video I watched), Bing is promoting “the new MSN” which, funny enough, *also* has an entertainment section!
Microsoft’s own users “want one online destination” so why offer two?
I certainly believe Microsoft’s domination of the desktop and browser via their operating system offers them a chance to dominate valuable and profitable verticals online, unfortunately this Bing addition illustrates the strategic difference between Apple, with a singular focus, and Microsoft, whose strategy appears to be “throw a lot against the wall, and see what sticks.”
Although I’m a big believer in trying new initiatives, Microsoft needs to focus to avoid consumer confusion.
After spending a massive amount of marketing dollars on the Bing brand, it would be prudent (and just plain intelligent) to support those efforts with a singular brand strategy and singular online destination.
Because, Microsoft… that’s exactly what 76% of your prospective audience really wants.
- Ghost Blogging is Dead. Long Live SEO! - April 1, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: Go Back to the Basics - March 6, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: The Value of a WhatsApp User - February 24, 2014
- All You Need is Links: Valentine’s Day Edition - February 14, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: “SEO Content” is Just “Great Content” - February 11, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: Who Said SEO Is Easy? - February 4, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: Just Say No to Image Bait - January 23, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: You’re Shooting Too High – And Other Metric Mysteries - January 10, 2014
- Inside the Search Studio with Laurie Sullivan - January 8, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: 2014 Is NOT the Year of Social, Mobile, or Native Ads - January 3, 2014