Categories - Featured, Social Media
I’m not old.
In my 17+ years of marketing I’ve seen fads and trends and media and different mediums come and go.
And though I’ve personally adapted to change, moving from traditional instore display media to online marketing, it never ceases to amaze me how much my kids take the Internet and the almost limitless access to information, almost anywhere, for granted.
And now I feel the same for the seniors in my life.
My mother-in-law and I were going through my iPhone apps, I was explaining what each is for and does. We came across LinkedIn‘s application (which is pretty good BTW) and she asked me what it is / does exactly.
Rather than explain to this 70+ year old – she’d kill me if I gave away any more information about her age! – that Linkedin is (as they explain on their site) “an interconnected network of experienced professionals from around the world, where you can find, be introduced to, and collaborate with qualified professionals to accomplish your business goals.” I simply said…
“It’s like Facebook for business people”
Then it hit me.
I just explained a concept using another online community that I expected and knew my mother-in-law would understand. Facebook is mainstream enough that my mother-in-law not only knows what Facebook is (and goes on there a few times a week), but could use that experience as reference to another online community she knew nothing about.
A true senior moment. A true indicator that online communities are coming of age.
*Now* I feel old
- Ghost Blogging is Dead. Long Live SEO! - April 1, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: Go Back to the Basics - March 6, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: The Value of a WhatsApp User - February 24, 2014
- All You Need is Links: Valentine’s Day Edition - February 14, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: “SEO Content” is Just “Great Content” - February 11, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: Who Said SEO Is Easy? - February 4, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: Just Say No to Image Bait - January 23, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: You’re Shooting Too High – And Other Metric Mysteries - January 10, 2014
- Inside the Search Studio with Laurie Sullivan - January 8, 2014
- Grant’s Rants: 2014 Is NOT the Year of Social, Mobile, or Native Ads - January 3, 2014