Categories - Social Media
In the past 24 hours I have had two ‘ah ha’ moments in regards to Social Media Marketing. The first – positive – was a note from a cousin whose daughter suffers from a debilitating disease call Rhett Syndrome. As part of a promotion for the film Extraordinary Measures, there was a sweepstakes to earn $10,000 for your cause or charity. Entrants were asked to post an inspirational video on the film’s Inspirational Quilt with the top vote getter earning the cash prize.
My cousin’s husband entered by posting a video called “Reverse Rhett, Give our Girls a Voice” on the contest site and the viral marketing began. Friends, family, colleagues, complete strangers were asked to vote daily for the cause to earn the top cash prize – and they won. $10,000 to research and find a cure for a horrible disease all because emails, tweets, Facebook posts and Diggs were sent out to the web.
The other moment was a news report today noting a negative by-product of everyone sharing their ‘status’ through Facebook and Twitter. When you tweet your status and say that you are away from home, you are announcing that your home is unprotected and available to those with criminal intent. Granted, your message should only get to ‘friends’ but how many of your friends or followers do you actually know personally. The network can grow so large and ‘what’s the harm in friending someone you don’t know well?’ – well, the harm actually can be great. Insurance companies may now see you as high risk if you have a high number of followers or Facebook friends and raise your premiums. Who would have ever thought the two could be connected?
The fallout from social media is still largely unknown. There is great good that can come from the world connecting and people working together in a positive direction. There can also be damage from not being as private as we once were as a society.
- When Social Sharing Becomes Bigger Than the Event - December 11, 2013
- To Telecommute or Not to Telecommute - February 25, 2013
- Marissa Mayer…Hmmmm - October 10, 2012
- I Have Returned to the Desert to Find Tablets - January 7, 2011
- A Celebrity Sighting - April 7, 2010
- Both a Positive and Negative Social Media Day - February 25, 2010
- A Super Super Bowl - February 10, 2010
- Mergers, Failure, and Responsibility - January 7, 2010
- First Blogging, Now Lifelogging - September 28, 2009
- It’s Not the Same Old Third Grade - September 11, 2009