A Wave Of Loneliness

Posted on Friday, October 2nd, 2009 by Print This Post Print This Post

Categories - Social Media

Almost everyone here at The Search Agency works closely with Google on a daily basis.  So it will come as no surprise that many of us signed up to get into the Google Wave beta months ago.  Well, no one got accepted, except...me. I was pretty excited when I received my invite email from Google on Thursday morning.  However, as I circled the office trying to seek fellow Wavers, I suddenly found myself in isolation.  My initial experience on Google's new real time multi-user workspace was going to be a solo one. All by myself... I was happy to find that Google understood the importance of experiencing their new product with others and gave me the option of inviting eight friends to enjoy the beta as well.  After a quick game of Wave Survivor I choose my collaborators. It is now almost 36 hours post-invites, and none of my carefully chosen friends has received any news from Google.  But in the spirit of exploration, I present you with The Top 5 Things To Do On Wave: By Yourself. extensions5.  Explore the experience of using a wave. And just because you don't have any friends on Wave doesn't mean this has to be a one-sided conversation.  Get creative, create an alter-ego, and pretend like you AREN'T just talking to yourself. 4.  Watch the Google Wave videos. Google has dropped the developers that first introduced Wave at the I/O conference and has created Doctor Wave.  Ignoring your speculation of the authenticity of his doctoral credentials, Doctor Wave has created a handful of videos to help you discover Wave's capabilities.  And the only thing better than using Wave iswatching some guy in a lab coat use it! 3.  Play Chess! A lot of videos featuring Wave had coverage of people playing chess within Wave.  I could probably play chess by myself, at least I would leave a victor.  However, from what I can tell, Chess is missing from the Extensions section.  Looks like we are limited to Yes/No/Maybe and Maps.  And it looks like I'm limited to the option of uninstalling or removing - which one will I choose!?!? 2.  Stare at the favicon. The Google Wave logo is pretty cool.  It is like a wave, but in Google's signature colors (see: rainbow).  Staring at the favicon Wave logo isn't exactly going to consume a whole day - but it is at least worth a couple of minutes. 1.  Ask your friends if they have received your invite yet. No, they haven't.

Tags | , , ,

14 Responses to “A Wave Of Loneliness”

1. Carl says:

Looking forward to checking this out. It looks like it makes several things easier for those of us working in global companies:
    – Merged IM/email communication
    – Document review/comment/edit/publish
    – Staring at favicons

2. First, I’d like to say thank you to Frank for highlighting the obvious fact that I still don’t have my Wave confirmation. Maybe Gmail is down?

Second, you miss out #6, let your colleagues PLAY WITH WAVE FOR 5 MINUTES. Please.

Third, I can’t wait for the whole office to be “Waving”… per Google, productivity is expected to soar, realistically I expect everyone to huddle in their cubicles and order pizza in for a few days… while they’re… umm… playing chess?

3. Chris says:

Currently in the same situation, absolutely noone to wave with :<

If anyone wants to add me feel free – chriswattwave@googlewave.com

4. Ileane says:

Thursday on twitter I made a (probably obvious) prediction, here’s my tweet: Another #justmyopinion – Everyone that is hot for Google Wave today can’t wait to tell us what is wrong with it tomorrow…
    And of course I was right. I think that the biggest thing about this software is the just the word “Google”. Why would I want to combine my IM’s with my email? Do I IM the same topics that I email about? Or even to the same people? And I’m fine with emailing an editor or graphic artists (or even calling them) to say “OK, I’m done with the document”. And if the artist is in Beijing and I’m in Philly, I’m just going to have to wait until tomorrow for a response anyway aren’t I???
    Well, I’ve gone on long enough, and really I’m happy for Google. Just about as happy as one can be for a company that changes their logo twice a week. Maybe they will be changing the Wave icon soon and blow everybodies (I mean 100,000 people’s) mind.

Cheers!

5. Barbara says:

Any update yet? Anybody else waving? I think human nature has us afraid to be left out, but in your case Frank, you were brought in – and its a lonely inner circle of solitary wavers. Maybe the grass isn’t always greener….

6. Frank says:

@Barbara I think everyone has received their Wave invites. So now that I have friends on Wave we mostly just message back and forth. Looks like it has potential, but not so sure it is replacing any other forms of collaboration just yet.

7. Matt Kain says:

Just messaging back and forth? Perhaps you need some inspiration – try this http://bit.ly/pulpwavefiction

8. I finally got my Wave invite from FRANK about a week later — and mostly, I just talk about Wave on IM but don’t actually use it.

9. Richard says:

I just an invite a week ago but find any wave that has a fair amount of activity is just way too bogged down. This is something they need to fix otherwise I don’t see it being worth anyone’s time.

10. Nice publish! GA can be my biggest earning. Nonetheless, it is not a much.

11. I still remember the bigg buzz about Google Wave and how it will be so great. Seems now that nobody is talking about it anymore. Lets see about the next Big Google thing…

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. USA SEO Pros (usaseopros) 's status on Monday, 05-Oct-09 17:13:42 UTC - Identi.ca