Bing Brings More Conversions at Lower Costs

Posted on Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 by Print This Post Print This Post

Categories - Featured, SEM

The search world has been abuzz with Bing.  Backed by a $100 million ad spend, Microsoft’s new “Decision Engine” is generating a nice spike in search volume.  According to recent data from ComScore, Bing’s share of search volume increased to 12% during the period of June 8-12, a 33% jump from the pre-launch work week of May 25-29. So there’s definitely a curiosity factor with Bing.  And my SEO colleagues have already given their review of the new interface and how the organic search results compare to Google.  But what will Microsoft’s huge investment in Bing mean for advertisers? Virtually all of The Search Agency's SEM clients already include Microsoft in their paid search portfolio.  So we conducted an analysis of a cross-section of accounts, comparing their performance for the last three weeks of Live Search to their first three weeks with Bing. The initial results have certainly been positive both for both Microsoft and our advertisers: Click Through Rate (CTR) up 15% Conversions up 6% Conversion rate up 18% Cost per Acquisition (CPA) down 3% Although Bing’s search volume has increased on the heels of their aggressive advertising campaign, Microsoft has been more selective on which ads they serve on each search results page, often times electing not to serve any ads at all.  As a result, we saw a 22% drop in total impressions.  But Bing has significantly increased the relevancy of those impressions, yielding double digit growth in CTR and conversion rate. We will be monitoring this data over the coming weeks to see if Bing can maintain this growth in search volume and conversion rates.  It’s entirely possible that this improved performance could represent the “curiosity factor” -- explorers clicking on all sorts of listings to see how the new engine performs.  Either way, these early results do suggest some great opportunities for advertisers to obtain higher-converting search traffic with Bing. What type of results are you seeing from your accounts?  How have your account management strategies changed since the launch of Bing?

Tags | , , , , , , ,

40 Responses to “Bing Brings More Conversions at Lower Costs”

1. Justin Blase says:

I havent been doing any PPC in the past couple months, but my organic traffic from Bing is about double what it was with MSN. Not sure why just yet, but I’ll take it!

2. Rick says:

I have seen a big spike in organic traffic from Bing for all my clients. In many cases Bing has already started to deliver more organic traffic than Yahoo. It is still early in the game but Bing looks to be a promising replacement for Live Search.

3. Burton Kent says:

Is Microsoft offering any discounts/credits for Bing? Or even for the traditional MSN adcenter?

Thanks.

4. The best time to make money is when they are new and they want to maximize buzz. Make hay while the sun shines because you never know how long better results will last.

5. Great piece, Frank. We’re definitely seeing increases in client results from Bing at Omniture as well.

6. Matt Kain says:

Came across a way to check relevance side-by-side with split-screen search at:

Matt

7. Dino Vedo says:

I’m a blogger myself and I found your post to be very interesting and unique so I figured I’d drop a comment. Good job on the post, and I’ve just became subscribed to your blog. Hope you do the same for me.

Good luck on your blog, and feel free to visit and comment on my blog as well! :)

Dino Vedo – Mindless Ramblings of Internet Markter and Affiliate

8. Lexie Maroni says:

I just try a few pay per click sites where to send my traffic, but I really suggest http://www.mybestclick.net them service is very good and the money which I earn totally satisfy me.

9. I really liked your article. Keep up the good work.

10. I as a matter of fact love this internet page. It was extremely informative as well as useful. I will return to wait on upcoming articles.

11. I want tell my english is not right now then Is there any information about this field in another languages? I hope you will answer me in this topic.

12. You raise a very fabulous point. I hadn’t considered that before. Brilliant article!

13. have been visiting your site around several days. really enjoy what you posted. by the way i am doing study concerning this issue. do you know any great websites or maybe forums in which I can find out more? many thanks.

14. I don’t always read much but after checking out your work, I think I will keep on watching out for what you have coming up for us. Your ideas are quite fascinating and not like any that I have seen. Waiting for your next work.

15. bing is very awesome i really love it

16. Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation; many of us have created some nice procedures and we are looking to swap techniques with others, please shoot me an email if interested.

17. It seems as if Bing is getting smarter and better each month, I’m curious if they will win against google in the end.

18. pomoc prawna says:

Heutzutage kann niemand das Leben ohne Computer vorstellen. Was die Arbeit und die Studie wäre ohne sie aus?

19. Finding Rapid Packages Involving Talent Agencies In Las Vegas

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Microsoft the Underdog | feed hat blog
  2. Microsoft the Underdog | seo cloak
  3. Online Marketing Blog » Blog Archive » Microsoft the Underdog
  4. Microsoft the Underdog | webmarketingexperts.com.au
  5. Bing Converts Better than Live | seo cloak
  6. Bing Converts Better than Live | feed hat blog
  7. Ads on Bing Show Improved Performance
  8. Survey Says: Bing Converts Cheaper than Competitors | Seocracy.com
  9. SearchCap: The Day In Search, June 25, 2009
  10. The Week In Search - 26/06/09 Recap | Fusion Unlimited Digital Marketing Blog
  11. Ads Convert Better on Bing Than on Live Search? | Helping You Make Money Online
  12. Ads Convert Better on Bing Than on Live Search?
  13. Ads Convert Better on Bing Than on Live Search? - Google Live Search
  14. Ads Convert Better on Bing Than on Live Search? | Blog Free Now
  15. links for 2009-07-22 « On New Media
  16. Ads Convert Better on Bing Than on Live Search? | Blog Tips, blogging Blog
  17. Survey Says: Bing Converts Cheaper than Competitors | I Can Has Rankings?
  18. aimClear’s 2009 Daily Training Link Library » aimClear Search Marketing Blog
  19. aimClear’s 2009 Daily Training Link Library » aimClear Search Marketing Blog